Horse related recommendations omgeving Delft

Moderators: C_arola, Coby, Nicole288, Dyonne

Toevoegen aan eigen berichten

Amyciation

Horse related recommendations omgeving Delft

Link naar dit bericht Geplaatst door de TopicStarter : 27-02-21 11:17

Hi everyone,
I’m so sorry I don’t speak Dutch yet, so will post a google translation below :) I’m looking for recommendations on everything horse related.

I have moved to Delft in October last year and it has always been my dream to have my own horse. This year I would like to make it happen but I’m not an expert and had a long „horse pause“, my network in the Netherlands is super small and I’m a bit worried about buying a horse without „guidance“ from someone experienced.
Therefore:
Can you recommend any breeders or dealers where you can buy a horse without being scared of buying a sick horse, unsuitable horse, „surprise horse“...? Someone who really wants the best for the horse and the buyer?
Can you recommend stables in the Delft area? Saddlers? Vets? Everything !

Also, how does it work in the Netherlands when you buy a horse. Does the seller or the buyer pay for the „vet check“? Can you recommend a reliable vet who I could contact for that?

Thank you so much for your help and have a lovely day.

Dutch:

Hallo iedereen, Het spijt me zo dat ik nog geen Nederlands spreek, dus zal hieronder een google-vertaling posten :) Ik ben op zoek naar aanbevelingen voor alles wat met paarden te maken heeft. Ik ben vorig jaar oktober naar Delft verhuisd en het is altijd mijn droom geweest om een ​​eigen paard te hebben. Dit jaar zou ik het graag willen laten gebeuren maar ik ben geen expert en heb een lange "paardenpauze" gehad, mijn netwerk in Nederland is super klein en ik maak me een beetje zorgen over het kopen van een paard zonder "begeleiding" van iemand ervaren. Daarom: Kunt u fokkers of dealers aanbevelen waar u een paard kunt kopen zonder bang te zijn voor het kopen van een ziek paard, een ongeschikt paard, een "verrassingspaard" ...? Iemand die echt het beste wil voor het paard en de koper? Kun je stallen aanbevelen in de omgeving van Delft? Zadelmakers? Dierenartsen? Alles ! Ook hoe werkt het in Nederland als je een paard koopt. Betaalt de verkoper of de koper voor de "vetcheck"? Kunt u een betrouwbare dierenarts aanbevelen bij wie ik daarvoor terecht kan? Heel erg bedankt voor je hulp en een fijne dag gewenst.

Amyciation

Re: Horse related recommendations omgeving Delft

Link naar dit bericht Geplaatst door de TopicStarter : 27-02-21 12:07

A nice person just pointed out that it might be useful to add some further information on what I'm looking for:

I'm looking for a nice recreational horse, something that is safe to go outside with, a bit of dressage, occasionally jumping, perhaps in the future also some "hunting rides" (out in a group), a bit of ground work, nice gaits... something to have fun with and to get better with, but I'm not keen on competitions. So a warmblood without having a preference for a specific breed. Since I had a long break the horse shouldn't be too young, ideally something between 8 and 13 years but I'm flexible, if it's a super sweet horse that is younger or a bit older, also fine :) My budget is up to 12.000 Euros (preferably around 10.000), do you think that's realistic?
For the stable, I was hoping to find something below 500 Euros per month, also here I have some flexibility, I want something where the horse has a good life and can go outside and be a horse. Ideally at least with an outside riding arena, everything else is nice to have but not a deal breaker. (I heard super nice things about Neville stables, but I assume they have an incredibly long waitlist so was hoping to hear some other recommendations as well).

Een aardig persoon heeft er net op gewezen dat het misschien handig kan zijn om wat meer informatie toe te voegen over wat ik zoek:

Ik ben op zoek naar een leuk recreatiepaard, iets waar je veilig mee naar buiten kunt, een beetje dressuur, af en toe springen, misschien in de toekomst ook wat "jachtritten" (uit in een groep), een beetje grondwerk, mooie gangen ... iets om plezier mee te hebben en om beter in te worden, maar ik hou niet van wedstrijden. Dus een warmbloed zonder voorkeur voor een bepaald ras. Aangezien ik een lange pauze heb gehad mag het paard niet te jong zijn, idealiter iets tussen de 8 en 13 jaar maar ik ben flexibel, als het een super lief paard is dat jonger of wat ouder is, ook prima :) Mijn budget is op tot 12.000 euro (liefst rond de 10.000), vind je dat realistisch?
Voor de stal hoopte ik iets te vinden onder de 500 euro per maand, ook hier heb ik wat flexibiliteit, ik wil iets waar het paard een goed leven heeft en naar buiten kan en een paard kan zijn. Idealiter in ieder geval met een buitenbak, al het andere is leuk om te hebben, maar geen dealbreaker. (Ik heb super leuke dingen gehoord over Neville Stables, maar ik neem aan dat ze een ongelooflijk lange wachtlijst hebben, dus ik hoopte ook wat andere aanbevelingen te horen).

Merel

Link naar dit bericht Geplaatst: 27-02-21 12:27

hi.

I would recommend "de Boer paardensport" They are most active in endurance riding but are also familiar with other (eventing, jumping, etc.). Maybe they can help you find a nice and healthy horse.

https://www.deboerpaardensport.nl/

Minimus

Link naar dit bericht Geplaatst: 27-02-21 12:39

Hi Amyciation, welcome to the Netherlands! Hopefully you can understand my English, lol.

Glad to hear you want to get back into horseriding and mayby owning a horse. Have you ever heard of leasing a horse? That way you'll get back in to the habit of caring for a horse, riding and upping your skills without the horse really being your own. You won't be responsible for certain costs like the vet or saddlers, you'll be fitted with a horse that is up your alley and that you can care for a few days a week. It might be a good way to broaden your horse-related network in the Netherlands and to get to know a few people. After a while, when you're more at home, you'll maybe feel like more up to the task of buying and caring for your own horse. You'll also know a few more people by then, who'll know other people who can probably point you to someone that is selling their horse ;) If you can follow me haha.

I must tell you that I am not at home around Delft and my own horse-related network is based in Gelderland, so I can't point you to any stables that offer horses to lease, or any stables in general in that area haha!

What I do know is that the buyer usually pays for the vet check :D You have a nice budget that'll get you a good, young sportshorse with potential. Do you have any breeds you don't like? Like, Friesians or Haflingers? The latter can be really nice allround horses that may be able to fit your bill.

Ibbel

Link naar dit bericht Geplaatst: 27-02-21 12:52

Google translate is doing a remarkable job, I've seldom seen such excellent translations.

Your budget should be more than enough for what you are looking for. That budget will also (hopefully) steer you away from unreliable dealers, because they usually have horses in a lower price range. I would advise however to stay clear of all dealers unless you really can't find what you want among private sale horses.

Your budget for stabling in the Delft area is OK, although you might have to up that a little.
It's quite hard to find stables that offer (enough, ie > 8 hours a day and in winter also) field or paddock time in small stable groups, which would be the best for any horse.

My best tip would be: find a riding club ("rijvereniging") in the Delft area and ask if anyone there might be interested in helping you in your efforts to find a good horse. They will also be able to suggest good stables - the good ones often don't advertise and get their new customers by word of mouth, so you need to find that mouth that spreads the word :)) and sometimes they also know of people that want to sell their horse.

Amyciation

Link naar dit bericht Geplaatst door de TopicStarter : 27-02-21 13:18

Thank you so much to all of you for your help and tips, it makes such a difference to have a place where you can ask all those questions.

@Minimus, your English is perfect :) I was thinking about leasing a horse in the beginning and it would be a very sensible approach I guess, like you say, getting back into horse riding, getting some lessons and all of that, build my network. I would be definitely up for that but I am checking marktplaats every day and never saw anything on horse leasing in the Delft area, so I assumed it doesn't really exist here. I would be totally up for that if anyone has a good recommendation or place I could try?

On the breeds, although I live by "never say never" I'm not super keen on Trotters, Friesians or Haflingers (weirdly enough, a Fjord would be completely fine :D ). If I'm honest, I don't have strong arguments for that, with Haflingers I personally just don't find them so pretty (stupid to say, and I don't want to hurt anyone, I know they can be wonderful horses but if I pay 12000 euros for a horse I would like one that I personally find good looking :D). Frisians I never rode, so I'm judging here without knowing (I just never saw a Frisian jump?), and Trotters I only know "crazy ones", I know there are others too. So, like I said, those wouldn't be the breeds I would specifically look for but I wouldn't exclude them generally (ok, Haflingers I do actually :D).

@Ibbel: Thank you, you are absolutely right, the riding club and building a network is so needed. I have to say, I tried it (a bit), was messaging stables also to just ask for riding lessons, but only two replied, the rest completely ignored me (and I assume it's because I don't speak dutch). One immediately said that I can't come unless I own a horse (because of Corona) and that they also don't to riding lessons at the moment. I guess I need to be patient and hope that the stupid lockdown ends soon... perhaps I need to give it a new try then.

Thank you all for your help and tips, I appreciate it so much.

Heel erg bedankt voor jullie hulp en tips, het maakt zo'n verschil om een ​​plek te hebben waar je al die vragen kunt stellen.

@Minimus, je Engels is perfect :) Ik dacht er in het begin over om een ​​paard te leasen en het zou een heel verstandige aanpak zijn. Ik denk dat, zoals je zegt, weer gaan paardrijden, wat lessen krijgen en dat alles, bouw mijn netwerk. Daar zou ik zeker voor zijn, maar ik kijk elke dag naar marktplaats en heb in de omgeving van Delft nog nooit iets over paardenlease gezien, dus ik nam aan dat het hier niet echt bestaat. Ik zou daar helemaal klaar voor zijn als iemand een goede aanbeveling heeft of een plek die ik zou kunnen proberen?

Over de rassen, hoewel ik leef volgens "zeg nooit nooit", ben ik niet zo enthousiast over Trotters, Friesians of Haflingers (gek genoeg zou een Fjord helemaal prima zijn: D). Als ik eerlijk ben, heb ik daar geen sterke argumenten voor, met Haflingers vind ik ze persoonlijk gewoon niet zo mooi (stom om te zeggen, en ik wil niemand pijn doen, ik weet dat ze geweldige paarden kunnen zijn) maar als ik 12000 euro betaal voor een paard, zou ik er een willen die ik persoonlijk goed vind: D). Friezen heb ik nooit gereden, dus keur ik hier zonder het te weten (ik heb alleen nog nooit een Friese sprong gezien?), En dravers ken ik alleen "gekken", ik weet dat er ook anderen zijn. Dus, zoals ik al zei, dat zouden niet de rassen zijn waar ik specifiek naar zou zoeken, maar ik zou ze in het algemeen niet uitsluiten (ok, Haflingers eigenlijk wel: D).

@Ibbel: Bedankt, je hebt helemaal gelijk, de manege en het opbouwen van een netwerk is zo nodig. Ik moet zeggen, ik heb het (een beetje) geprobeerd, was ook berichten aan stallen om alleen maar om paardrijlessen te vragen, maar slechts twee antwoordden, de rest negeerde me volledig (en ik neem aan dat het komt omdat ik geen Nederlands spreek). Eentje zei meteen dat ik niet kan komen tenzij ik een paard heb (ivm Corona) en dat ze op dit moment ook niet naar paardrijlessen gaan. Ik denk dat ik geduld moet hebben en hoop dat de stomme lockdown snel eindigt ... misschien moet ik het dan opnieuw proberen.

Ik dank u allen voor uw hulp en tips, ik stel het zo op prijs.

Minimus

Link naar dit bericht Geplaatst: 27-02-21 13:35

I think that looking up stables or riding clubs on google and then searching their website for lease might be a good option. If you want to, I can help look? I have found a website of the Ypenburghoeve that leases PRE's and Manege Hillegersberg also offers lease, but I do not know how trustworthy they are because I'm not from around there. If I put the words 'paard leasen Delft' in Google I get a few hits :)

Ibbel

Link naar dit bericht Geplaatst: 27-02-21 13:44

@TS: you might PM Apple here at Bokt. She's got her horses North of Den Haag, but she might know people and addresses in the Delft area. Also, her partner is British and they both like to hunt (in the UK ;) )

As for horse breeds, a "Gelders paard' might be just what you are looking for, but they are rather rare despite the fact it's an original Dutch breed.
For your budget you might also find a good Quarter horse here - although jumping and hunting is not something you would associate with that breed. On the other hand, hunting isn't much done here anyway, so if you would really like to go hunting, you had better buy a hunter in the UK. The hunting community in the Netherlands (such as there is) is a very closed community though. Hard to get into without introduction.
You could also find a Tennessee Walking Horse for your budget in Europa. Also very versatile horses, good jumpers too mostly.

Amyciation

Link naar dit bericht Geplaatst door de TopicStarter : 27-02-21 13:47

@Minimus You're a star! Thank you! I actually never tried googling it, I assumed lease is just something private people would do if they can't care for the horse but don't want to sell it, so didn't really consider stables would be offering that. Will google immediately, perfect task for a Saturday, thank you for that :)

Minimus

Link naar dit bericht Geplaatst: 27-02-21 13:59

Ibbel schreef:
@TS: you might PM Apple here at Bokt. She's got her horses North of Den Haag, but she might know people and addresses in the Delft area. Also, her partner is British and they both like to hunt (in the UK ;) )

As for horse breeds, a "Gelders paard' might be just what you are looking for, but they are rather rare despite the fact it's an original Dutch breed.
For your budget you might also find a good Quarter horse here - although jumping and hunting is not something you would associate with that breed. On the other hand, hunting isn't much done here anyway, so if you would really like to go hunting, you had better buy a hunter in the UK. The hunting community in the Netherlands (such as there is) is a very closed community though. Hard to get into without introduction.
You could also find a Tennessee Walking Horse for your budget in Europa. Also very versatile horses, good jumpers too mostly.

These are excellent recommendations from Ibbel. They are right about the hunting community though, a very close knitted community. In my area I know of a hunting group who will take on new people occasionally but it's tough getting in.

Amyciation

Link naar dit bericht Geplaatst door de TopicStarter : 27-02-21 14:02

@Ibbel amazing, thank you, will do :)

The Gelders Paard would definitely be something of interest, stumbled across that breed already a couple of times and thought they look super pretty (and I like the idea of having a traditional Dutch breed).

I have to say I'm actually not British, I am German but have lived in the UK for the last 4 years before I came to the Netherlands (and more people speak English than German so that's why I posted in English). Because of that, buying a horse in the UK is something I'm not even considering, especially now with Brexit and the zillion things that have changed but no one has a clue about :D

The hunting is also not a super huge must, I had a "horse share" (Reitbeteiligung) back in Germany a couple of years ago and the owner of the horse did hunting (fake of course, not hunting of actual animals) and I always found that super cool to watch and help her, and wanted to do it myself. I enjoy going for hacks the most, but I also like a bit of jumping, going through the water and so on, and being with a group of people on the horse. So the whole concept appeals to me but if that's not really happening in the Netherlands I am perfectly fine with starting small and going for normal hacks, maybe I can take the horse to Germany once to try it :D

@Ibbel geweldig, bedankt, zal doen :)

Het Gelders Paard zou zeker iets interessants zijn, kwam dat ras al een paar keer tegen en vond ze er super mooi uitzien (en ik hou van het idee om een ​​oer-hollands ras te hebben).

Ik moet zeggen dat ik eigenlijk geen Brit ben, ik ben Duits maar heb de afgelopen 4 jaar in het VK gewoond voordat ik naar Nederland kwam (en meer mensen spreken Engels en Duits, dus daarom heb ik in het Engels gepost). Daarom is het kopen van een paard in het VK iets wat ik niet eens overweeg, vooral nu met de Brexit en de ontelbare dingen die zijn veranderd, maar niemand heeft een idee over :D

De jacht is ook geen super grote must, ik had een "paardendeel" (Reitbeteiligung) terug in Duitsland een paar jaar geleden en de eigenaar van het paard jaagde (nep natuurlijk, niet jagen op echte dieren) en ik heb altijd vond dat super gaaf om naar haar te kijken en haar te helpen, en wilde het zelf doen. Ik vind het het leukst om voor hacks te gaan, maar ik hou ook van een beetje springen, door het water gaan enzovoort, en met een groep mensen op het paard zijn. Dus het hele concept spreekt me aan, maar als dat niet echt in Nederland gebeurt, kan ik prima klein beginnen en voor normale hacks gaan, misschien kan ik het paard een keer naar Duitsland brengen om het te proberen :D

Minimus

Link naar dit bericht Geplaatst: 27-02-21 14:21

There are wonderful places to hack in the Netherlands, some more adventurous than others and we do have the Veluwe trail if you want to spend a few days in the saddle :D Enough stables offer ride-outs if you want to get a feel for the environment and there are websites which offer different trails to ride near you and in other provinces. The best of luck and if you need anything or want to ask anything, feel free to PM me or anyone else :D

Tessebes

Link naar dit bericht Geplaatst: 27-02-21 15:02

Stables; Olsthoorn Stables, stal Langelaan, stal Verboon. They all have websites. Be prepared for a waitinglist, sometimes of several years.

ruitje

Link naar dit bericht Geplaatst: 28-02-21 11:52

Hi! If you would like i could ask around at our stable. We have a 100 horses that we take care for and some of them are searching for someone who will ride/take care of there horse for like 3 times a week, espacialy when you can chip in a little with the expensives.

It would also be a way to get to know more horse people.

We do have a waitinglist for new horses, but i also think we would match with what you are looking for in a stable if you do deside to buy a horse in the future.

If you want you're welcome, i can give you a tour and introduce you to some people. You seem like a nice person and we horse people need to help each other out so now and then i think :D . Don't know if it is to far from Delft, but the offer stands :)

As a vet i would recommend DAP Bodegraven, it is a big clinic with a lot of knowledge, i know if you do a vet check there it might be a little more expensive but i know it would be better than a small vet from the area.

Amyciation

Link naar dit bericht Geplaatst door de TopicStarter : 28-02-21 13:43

Hey Ruitje,
you make me jump up and down out of happinesses - thank you so much for your kind offer, I will send you a private message :)

fleurtjeuh

Link naar dit bericht Geplaatst: 28-02-21 13:53

Sadly I don't have any tips or trics for you, I think the most helpfull stuff has already been said.
But I want to commend everyone in the topic :D
I love the fact that everyone is so helpful and I think you are doing a great job of making sure you have a good foundation to build on before actually diving in and buying a horse.

Amyciation

Link naar dit bericht Geplaatst door de TopicStarter : 13-04-21 22:09

Hey everyone,

you've all been so incredibly helpful when I started my "getting back into horsing" adventure in the Netherlands, so perhaps it's a bit sad and rude to just "disappear" after profiting from all your suggestions and help without ever saying proper thank you.
So maybe just a quick update for the ones that are interested :D In the meantime I managed to start as a bijrijder of a very sweet horse at Stal de Groene Meer in Stompwijk (and it was good that I started as a bijrijder because the sore muscles were INSANE :D ). Getting my own horse is still very much on the agenda, but for a later point (maybe end of this year or next, checking Marktplaats and sporthorses every day but the market seems crazy anyways so I'm not in a rush :) ) Thank you to everyone who was reaching out, commenting or via private message, your messages meant a lot and since I'm back into horse riding my life is so much better. Glad I found bokt :j

Have a lovely evening!

---

Hoi iedereen,

jullie zijn allemaal zo ongelooflijk behulpzaam geweest toen ik begon aan mijn 'teruggaan naar het paardrijden'-avontuur in Nederland, dus misschien is het een beetje triest en onbeleefd om gewoon' te verdwijnen 'nadat je hebt geprofiteerd van al je suggesties en hulp zonder ooit de juiste dank te zeggen

Dus misschien even een snelle update voor degenen die geïnteresseerd zijn :D Inmiddels ben ik erin geslaagd om te starten als bijrijder van een heel lief paard op Stal de Groene Meer in Stompwijk (en het was goed dat ik als bijrijder begon omdat de pijnlijke spieren waren KRANKZINNIG :D). Het krijgen van mijn eigen paard staat nog steeds erg op de agenda, maar voor een later punt (misschien eind dit jaar of volgend, elke dag Marktplaats en sportpaarden checken maar de markt lijkt sowieso gek dus ik heb geen haast :)) Bedankt aan iedereen die contact opnam, commentaar gaf of via een privébericht, je berichten betekenden veel en sinds ik weer met paardrijden bezig ben, is mijn leven zoveel beter. Blij dat ik bokt vond :j

Een fijne avond!

Minimus

Link naar dit bericht Geplaatst: 14-04-21 09:33

Hi! Good to hear you're back in the saddle and that you found a horse to ride. Muscle pains are no joke :D